Effective and Exciting Teaching in Social Sciences and Humanities (1 cr.)
Jessica L. Collett, Sociology
06/23-07/03 MTWR 09:00a - 12:00p
This course is designed for graduate students who want to prepared for classroom teaching and increase their classroom effectiveness. The course introduces the logic of and mechanics for developing an effective repertoire of teaching techniques. Topics include:
1. how to give an engaging and effective lecture.
2. how to run dynamic discussions.
3. the advantages and dangers of using technology in class.
4. how to design exams and writing assignments, and how to grade them.
5. working with teaching assistants.
6. designing a class and syllabus 7. creating a teaching portfolio