Resources for International Faculty and TAs
- The ITA Survival Manual (College of Science, PDF)
- Office of International Student Affairs
- English for Academic Purposes
The following is a brief survey of texts that have been recommended by international students and by other teaching centers. If you would like to recommend an addition, please email us. The Kaneb Center welcomes all faculty and TAs who would like to borrow texts from our library.
Orientation to American Culture and Academic Life
- Fantine, Alvino E., Living in the United States. Brattelboro, VT: Experiment in International Living, 1984.
- Lanier, Allison, and William Gay, Living in the USA. Yarmouth, ME: Intercultural Press, 1996.
- Wanning, Esther, Culture Shock! USA. Graphic Arts Center Publications, 1991.
Teaching in America
- * Sarkisian, Ellen, Teaching American Students: A Guide for International Faculty and Teaching Assistants in Colleges and Universities. Harvard University, 1997. (accompanied with a video, Teaching in America)
- Smith, Jan, et al, Communicate: Strategies For International Teaching Assistants. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall, 1992.
- * Althen, G. Learning Across Cultures. NASFA: Association of International Educators, 1994.
- Byrd, Patricia, Janet Constantinides, and Martha Pennington, The Foreign Teaching Assistant's Manual. NY: W.W. Norton, 1985.
More General Teaching Tips
- * Fujishin, Randy, The Natural Speaker. Boston: Allyn and Bacon, 1997.
- * ** McKeachie, W. J., Teaching Tips: Strategies, Research, and Theory for Colleges and University Teachers. Lexington, MA: DC Heath, 1999.
Reading Resources for teachers for whom English is not their first language:
- * Wennerstrom, Ann, Techniques for Teachers: A guide for nonnative speakers of English. Ann Arbor: U. of Michigan, 1991.
- * Christensen, C. Roland, D. Garvin, and Ann Sweet, eds. Education for Judgement: The Artistry of Discussion Leadership. Boston: Harvard University Press, 1991.
- * Hager, P. J., and H. J. Schrieber, Designing and Delivering Scientific, Technical and Managerial Presentations. John Wiley and Sons, 1997.
- * M. Powell, Presenting in English: How to Give Successful Presentations. Language Teaching Publications, 1996 (accompanied w/ audio cassette).
Texts on Academic Writing
- Swales, J. M. and C. B. Feak, Academic Writing for Graduate Students: Essential Tasks and Skills. Ann Arbor: U Michigan Press, 1994.
- * Paradis, J. G. and M. L. Zimmerman, MIT Guide to Science and Engineering Communication. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, 1997.
- Moriarty, M. F. Writing Science Through Critical Thinking. Sudbury, MA: James and Bartlett, 1996.